In this short article, we’ll talk about some simple differences between solid, pearl, and hybrid reactive cover stocks. So, if you’re going to select the ball and you’ve heard about solid reactive or pearl reactive and hybrid cover stocks, you have a general idea, simple things can make the difference in choosing the proper ball.
For you, the core design of the ball and the symmetry of the given ball are also points of consideration, but the most important thing is the cover stock of the ball, and the first thing you should realize is the solid reactive variety of cover stocks. You’ve got two choices: you’ve got a polished reactive, which is a solid reactive cover stock and you’ve also got a matte finish, so one is highly textured. One is polished by the factory when the ball is brand new out of the box.
They’re both considered solid reactive cover stocks and they’ll have a good varying degree of surface friction and the ability to create traction. You want a polished ball, which is a little smoother surface and shinier. To give you a little more skid.
- BATTLE TESTED: The Black Widow 2.0 Hybrid has gone through more testing than any Black Widow in recent history to ensure that it fits the line perfectly.
- CRAWLING INTO YOUR ARSENAL: The Black Widow 2.0 Hybrid uses the all-new HK22 base resin with the Aggression Hybrid additive package. This will provide more length and a sharper backend reaction in comparison to the Black Widow Ghost.
- WITHSTANDS THE TEST OF TIME: The Black Widow 2.0 Hybrid uses the famous Gas Mask core. This will give you vibes of that Black Widow reaction and carry you’ve come to know and love.
- SHINY STRENGTH: The Black Widow 2.0 Hybrid features our new HK22 base material. This cover provides rich, impressive colors and super responsive backend reaction. A new reaction shape for our pearl, hybrid and shiny solid bowling balls!
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The Black Widow 2.0 Hybrid carries a 2-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- ROTO MOLDED – Our plastic bowling balls are formed with seamless smooth precision for an authentic bowling experience for the whole family
- BRIGHT COLOR – Bowl with solid bright orange; perfect for physical education, gym classes at school, lawn recreation, your home game room, and plastic or foam pin sets
- PERFECT FOR MULTIPLE HAND SIZES – Each finger hole is perfectly round; designed for easy grip and handling for players of various hand and finger sizes
- PERFECT FOR PRACTICE – If you’re a beginner trying to become the best, you need the right accessories; this multi-surface equipment helps develop your control and technique for the bowling alley
- SAFE FOR KIDS, ADULTS – This light yet weighted ball makes bowling a fun, cool game for men, women, boys, and girls; the perfect sporting goods for a backyard birthday party, vacation, and more
- Perfect for all ages and skill levels
- Polyester coverstock for straight shots
- Pyramid quality
- Perfect Scale Rating: 5.0
Last update on 2023-06-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The matte finish is probably the more aggressive of the two under the solid reactive variety. Next, in the rack, the variety would be the pearl reactive which is a very stiff cover. It’s a very polished, very smooth finish to the texture, is more of a higher grip, and finishing pads of two to four thousand, which give you a long skid length and conserve energy for the back end, but don’t necessarily mean it’s going to hook very sharply on the back end.
That depends on the differential rating, the hook potential rating. It also depends on the drilling layout you use. Stock is consistent, skin lengths for medium-to-medium dry lanes or very dry lanes.
And finally, the hybrid is a recent addition, I’d say in the last three to five years. The hybrid cover stocks give you the best of both worlds, which gives you the ability to skid like a pro and react on the front end and half or, the traction of a solid reactive on the front end, but the back end reaction of a pearl on the back end of the lane.
So, you get the most both the best worlds, and the hybrid cover stocks, I would say, combine the benefits of both types. You get a good mid-lane reaction of a solid cover stock when there’s heavy oil. The ball won’t over-skid on you, yet you get a decisive back-end reaction.
Typically, pro-reactive balls provide some hybrid cover. Stocks are also now available in a polished, finish or a matte finish, so you can get a more aggressive, hybrid, or less aggressive hybrid, but both of them are a combination of both solid and pearl reactive bowling bolts, and as all the case with all reactive balls. You can alter slightly the surface texture, and your finish with various grit pads to fine-tune your ball reaction slightly.
Those are essentially the differences.
Next Steps and Where to Purchase Equipment
When you’re ready to make the leap, you can read these articles to learn what bowling equipment we recommend for every different kind of player and choose what suits you better. We try to review the best bowling equipment in the market every few weeks to keep up-to-date with the current trends.